Sunday, November 15, 2009

Four-Star Service @ Home

My sister, Dori visited me from Dallas this weekend. She flew in Thursday evening and we booked a hotel at the Grand Hyatt in Denver. Friday morning we went down to the restaurant for breakfast and ordered a few things to share. Lox and bagel and this poached egg dish. It was so good.

On Saturday morning I recreated it. It was pretty damned good if I do say so myself. Even better I think. The dish at the hotel had two spears of asparagus on the side, but I omitted that. You could add it but it would be good if you layered it with the dish.

Diane's Take on the Grand Hyatt Poached Eggs
serves two

4 eggs, fresh
can of chopped tomatoes (I chose fire roasted with garlic)
4-6 small slices of thin sliced ham
fresh basil leaves

Warm your serving plates in the oven at 200 degrees.

Simmer the tomatoes in a sauce pan with a little of the juice from the can. I added some dry herbs like oregano and thyme. Heat the ham in a skillet till warmed through.

Poach the eggs in simmering water. If you add a dash of white vinegar to the water this will help set the egg whites. Poach till you achieve the desired yolk consistency. I like them really runny and the whites soft.

In your warmed serving plates lay a tablespoon of the heated tomato, then the ham slices, then the poached eggs, top with more tomato, and finally tuck in some basil leaves. Enjoy.

This dish is so comforting and delicious but yet not heavy. Who says you have to stay at a four-star hotel to get this type of food? You can do it at home!

No comments: