Thursday, December 20, 2007

A Bit Of Dark History & Weenie Royale

On the way home from work this morning I had one of those NPR moments where I had to sit in my car to finish listening to a story. Granted I could have ran into the house and turn on the stereo, but I didn't want to miss a moment.

It was a very interesting clip of "Hidden Kitchen" where Americans tell their stories of food and how they were influenced throughout life. This one was on Japanese internment camps during World War II. It was a dark and shameful time for the United States to imprison their own citizens only for the sole fact that they were Japanese American. One woman said if you had at least a 1/16th of Japanese blood you were interned.

Several generations were affected by this horrible act. It was hard times and they were given very little for provisions but they made due. Their food and how it was prepared was passed down throughout the family tree. This young woman was talking about her great-grandparents and how they passed down recipes, and to this day she still enjoys them. Weenie Royale was one of her favorites for breakfast.

Although processed meat gets a bum wrap, I must admit my fondness for it. I am guilty of enjoying hot dogs, bologna, and the dreaded four-letter word of canned meat...SPAM. My family also had a lot of Great Depression recipes passed down and SPAM was one of them. We ate simple things like boiled dinner (ham bone, cabbage, potatoes, and onions), fried noodles (just egg noodles fried in butter and bread crumbs), and tons of "hot dish" (any kind of casserole made with whatever meat, whatever vegetable, and a can of "cream-of-something") so I truly understand the concept of finding comfort in the foods we ate during not-so-comforting times.

Listen and read about the story featured on "Hidden Kitchen" on npr.org.

Weenie Royale

1/2 white or yellow onions, chopped
1 tablespoon
soy sauce

2 hot dogs

3 eggs

Cooked white rice


Saute the chopped onions with a tablespoon of soy sauce and cook at medium to high heat until they are caramelized. While you wait for the onions to caramelize, cut the hot dogs in julienne slices and beat the eggs. After the onions are caramelized, add the hot dogs and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the beaten eggs to the onions and hot dogs until the eggs are done. Serve on top of cooked white rice.

I made this for breakfast this morning. I actually dusted off the old rice cooker and went to 7-Eleven and bought a package of hot dogs. I don't think I've bought hot dogs since college!

I know that this really isn't the healthiest meal, but damn...it was pretty tasty.

Diversity is a good thing...and I think this country is slowly learning this.

2 comments:

PrettyEdy said...

I found your blog when I did a search for Weenie Royale. I just listened to the same Hidden Kitchens podcast about Japanese internment camps.

The photo was great. I want to go home and try it.

I don't use my blogspot account very much. Feel free to look around.

Dean said...

I think I listened to the same podcast as PRETTYEDY. My friend linked it on my Facebook wall. Am trying to make it now for this week's lunch... itadakimasu!