Monday, October 22, 2007

Lovely Lentils


I was craving something very hearty and quick today, but I was limited on what I could make. My pantry's contents are limited, and I really need to stock up. But, due to my incredibly creative and innovative mind (ha!) I was able to whip this up. Pretty much everything I make is like shooting from the hip. Sometimes I am right on target, other times I miss. This one was a near bulls eye.

Lentils With Turkey

serves 1-2

2 T olive oil
2 crushed garlic cloves, finely minced
1 small onion, chopped coarsely
4 cups vegetable broth - one carton (would be richer with chicken, but this is what I had in the pantry)
1 t dry thyme
1 T ground cumin, heaping if you like more flavor
2 bay leaves
1 cup chopped cooked turkey, or any other cooked meat you may have
1 cup green lentils, washed and picked over for stones
couple pinches of kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper

You can make this the conventional way, but I used my pressure cooker so the method is for that. You'll have to wing it if you want to use a normal pot.


On medium high heat add olive oil to the pan (used the small pressure cooker size, came as a big and little set). Sweat the onions and garlic, then add the broth. Add all of the spices, turkey, and lentils. Stir and then bring to a boil. Slap on the lid of your pressure cooker, seal, and lower the heat to low. There will be a small amount of steam emitting. This is what you want. Set your timer for 25 minutes.

When the time is up, release the steam, open and enjoy!

After woofing this down, I realized that I could could have jazzed it up a bit. Maybe add some finely diced carrot for color and sweetness, and perhaps a little heat by adding some cayenne or something to that sort. Some curry powder would be divine too.

I'm debating on if I want more, but I think I'll save it for later. Love leftovers!

No comments: