Thursday, January 28, 2016

Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding

 

So, I've been shacking up with my good friend, Roni (aka AJ), and I have been having a load of fun cooking and what-not while she is toiling away at work!  Sorry!!

The other day, AJ was giving me an lesson in economics.  A dozen of lovely assorted doughnuts from Krispy Kreme are priced at a whopping $11.39.  Meanwhile (here's where the economics peeks in), if you add another dozen the price is only $14.99!  That's a $3.60 difference.  What a deal, but who can eat two dozen doughnut?

We got a dozen of the traditional raised glazed and the other dozen of the assorted.  After a few days of gorging ourselves, sadly we had 8 glazed left and they were indeed stale.  Boo!

I hate throwing away food and am a bit old fashioned and nostalgic, and I gave it a thought of what I could do with these oldies but goodies.

Bread pudding!!

I searched and searched on Google surprised to find many fine (and not so fine) recipes.  I found a simple but delicious way to not have to throw away that $3.60 dozen!

Well, we did eat 4 of these while there were still fresh, so I altered the recipe, but below is the full size and I added chopped pecans.

Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding

Serves 8 (or less if you are feeling piggish!)

Custard:
1 dozen stale Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts (any stale raised glazed will do though!)
3 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of ground nutmeg
2.25 oz bag of chopped (or bits) pecans, optional

Chocolate Ganache Sauce:
1 cup extra dark chocolate chips (can use semi-sweet)
2/3 cup heavy cream

Cut each doughnut into 5 or 6 pieces and place in a greased 9"x13" baking dish or cake pan.  Sprinkle most of the bag of nuts on top of the pieces and into the crevasses.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining custard ingredients until well mixed.  Pour over doughnuts and press down gently with a fork to allow pieces to absorb the custard.  Let sit while the you preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.  Sit aside to cool slightly and make your sauce.

Place chocolate chips in a heat proof bowl and microwave cream for approximately 1 1/3 minutes or until boiling.  Be careful not to let it boil over!  Pour hot cream over chocolate and let sit for about half a minute and stir until smooth.

Cut up your Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding into squares and serve with sauce drizzled over top.  This recipe will make you want to get an extra dozen the next time you make your doughnut run!

This is a nice comforting dessert and surprisingly not too sweet!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, I'm going to try this. I love the blog!!

Diane said...

Hi, Mack! I'm glad you stopped by. I really need to post more. I've been so busy lately. I need to post my bread!!